The manipulator is a versatile grip tool to swiftly move, rotate, scale and mirror selected entities. Holding down the Ctrl-key when starting the action keeps the original entities, thus creating copies. Upon selecting an entity, the manipulator is displayed at a user-controlled location and orientation. The location and orientation are controlled in a similar way as for a dynamic UCS. When multiple entities are selected simultaneously, the manipulator initially is placed at their geometric center. When a selection is built up step by step, the initial location of the manipulator is preserved. The manipulator can easily and directly be moved to any desired location or orientation using its handles.
Depending on the operation type and if dynamic dimensions are active, a dynamic entry field is available to set the distance, angle or scale factor.
Adaptive Snap Step
The snap step size automatically adapts to the current screen zoom factor if SNAPTYPE= 2. The AdaptiveGridStepSize SETTING controls the smallest available step size. The adaptive step size is used by Manipulator Ruler, which enables to quickly modify entities using precise values, without having to key in numbers.
The manipulator settings
To display the manipulator settings in the Settings dialog:
Right click the manipulator.
- Choose Manipulator Settings in the context menu. Name Title Description MANIPULATOR Manipulator Controls the display of the manipulator widget. 0: The manipulator is not displayed. 1: Display the manipulator whenever entities are selected. 2: Display the manipulator if the left mouse button was pressed longer than the current value of MANIPULATORDURATION (default). MANIPULATORDURATION Manipulator duration Specifies how long the left mouse button should be pressed during entity selection to trigger the display of the manipulator. The value is expressed in milliseconds. ManipulatorSize Size of manipulator Specifies the size of the manipulator relative to the default. Values between 0.5 and 2.0 are accepted. ManipulatorHandle Manipulator Handle Specifies the behavior of the anchor handle of the manipulator. 0: Handle moves the Manipulator itself (default). 1: Handle moves the selected entities freely. ManipulatorColorTheme Manipulator Color Theme Specifies the color theme of the Manipulator. 0: Monochrome (default). 1: Classic color theme. AdaptiveGridStepSize Adaptive grid step size Sets the snap spacing in pixels fo the Adaptive Grid Snap mode of the SNAPTYPE system variable. Values between 2 and 100 are accepted.
The manipulator layout
Check the Classic Color option in the manipulator context menu for the classic layout. Uncheck the option for the default layout.
- 1: manipulator handle
- 2: axis handle
12 command trigger zones:
- 3: axis
- 4: arrowhead
- 5: plane swatch
- 6: rotation arc
When the current view is parallel to one of the main axes of the coordinate system, as in a plan view, the manipulator is simplified to a 2D version.
The location and orientation of the manipulator
The initial location and orientation of the 3D manipulator tripod depends on:
- The entity type.
- The point you click on the entity.
|Entity Type||Selection point||Manipulator|
|Line||Near endpoint||At endpoint||X-axis through the other endpoint|
|Near midpoint||At midpoint||X-axis through the nearest endpoint|
|Polyline Line Segment||Near vertex||At vertex||X-axis through the other vertex of the selected line segment|
|Near segment midpoint||At the segment midpoint||X-axis through the nearest vertex|
|Polyline Arc Segment||On the arc segment||At the arc center||X-axis through the nearest vertex|
|Arc||Random||At the arc center||X-axis through the nearest endpoint|
|Circle||Random||At the circle center||X-axis Parallel with the X-axis of the current coordinate system|
|Spline||Random||At the nearest endpoint||Through the other endpoint|
|Region||On a line segment||At the nearest endpoint of the line segment||X-axis through the other endpoint|
|On a arc segment||At the center of the arc segment||X-axis through the nearest endpoint of the arc segment|
|Text, MText Block, Xref||Random||At the origin of the entity||X-axis at the rotation angle of the entity.|
|3D Solid* 3D Solid Face*||On a face of the solid||At the nearest vertex||X-axis along the nearest edge XY-plane in the selected face.|
|Multiple Entities||Random||At the geometric center of the selection set**||Parallel with the axes of the current coordinate system|
* See Selection Modes to learn how to select a 3D solid face or the entire solid.
** The position of the manipulator does not change when more entities are added to the selection set.
To display the manipulator when multiple entities are selected
Do one of the following:
- Select the entities one by one or use window selection, then click to select the last entity
- Set the value of the MANIPULATOR system variable to 1: Display the manipulator whenever entities are selected.
- Compose the selection set, then launch the MANIPULATE command.
To relocate the manipulator
To move the manipulator
Do one of the following:
- Long-click anywhere on the manipulator and move it to a new location*.
- MANIPULATORHANDLE = 0: Click the manipulator handle (1) and move it to a new location*. The anchor handle stands out to avoid overlap with entity grips.
- MANIPULATORHANDLE = 1: Long click the manipulator handle (1) and move it to a new location*.
- Place the cursor over the manipulator then right click and choose Move in the context menu and move it to a new location*.
* Specify the new location using entity snaps.
To rotate the manipulator
Select one of its axis handles (2) to rotate the manipulator. Pick a point or type a value in the dynamic entry field to specify the rotation angle.
Press the SHIFT key to rotate the Manipulator 90 degrees about its normal axis (Z-axis).
To reorient the manipulator
- Place the cursor over the manipulator, then right click and choose Reorient in the context menu. You are prompted: Specify origin of manipulator:
- Pick a point. The anchor point of the manipulator is placed at the specified point. You are prompted: Point on X-axis or <Accept>:
- Pick a point. The manipulator rotates about its X-axis. You are prompted: Point on the XY-plane with positive Y value or <Accept>:
- Pick a point to define new position of the manipulator.
To align the manipulator with a coordinate system
Move the cursor over the manipulator, then right click and select an option in the context menu:
- Align with WCS : the manipulator axes are forced parallel with the corresponding axes of the World Coordinate System.
- Align with UCS : if a UCS is currently the active coordinate system, the manipulator axes are forced parallel with the corresponding axes of the UCS.
To align the manipulator with the face of a solid
Dynamic UCS (DUCS) must be ON for this operation to succeed.
- Place the cursor over the manipulator then right click and choose Move in the context menu.
- Hover over the face of a solid. The XY-plane of the manipulator aligns with the solid face under the cursor.
Do one of the following:
- Snap to a point on the selected face or on one of its edges.
- Hit the Shift-key to lock the XY-plane to the selected face, then snap to a point outside the face.