The Xattach command attaches a drawing as an external reference (xref). The attached xref appears as an insert in the current drawing. Like blocks, attached xrefs can be nested. The attached drawing is based on the most recently saved version.
The origin point used when attaching an external reference is controlled by the INSBASE (insertion base point) settings variable. Use the BASE command to define the INSBASE variable in the external reference drawing.
To attach an external reference
- Do one of the following:
- Click the Attach Xref... tool button () on the Insert toolbar.
- Choose Attach Xref... in the Insert menu.
- Type xattach in the command bar, then press Enter.
- Click the Attach Xref tool button () on the Details toolbar on the Drawing Explorer / Xrefs window.
The Attach External Reference dialog window displays.
- Select the drawing you want to attach, then press the Open button on the Open dialog window.
The Attach External Reference dialog window opens:
- The full path to the selected drawing displays in the Path field.
(option) Select the Path Type:
- Choose the External Reference Type:
- Attachment : If the current drawing is attached as an xref to another drawing, an attachment becomes a nested xref.
- Overlay : An overlay is ignored when the drawing to which it is attached is then attached as an xref to another drawing.
- Choose whether to specify the Insertion Point on screen or in the X-, Y-, Z-fields.
- Choose whether to specify the Scale on screen or in the X-, Y-, Z-fields.
Check the Uniform Scale option to specify the scale in the X-field.
- Choose whether to specify the Rotation angle on screen or in the Angle field.
- Click the OK button to attach the Xref.
Depending on the options in steps 5, 6 and 7 you are prompted to specify the insertion point, scale and/or rotation angle.
Note: The Unit field under Block Unit is set by the INSUNIT (Insertion Units) system variable in the external reference. The Factor field expresses the relation between the value of the INSUNIT system variable in the xref and the parent drawing.