You use different linetypes to differentiate the purpose of one line from another. A linetype consists of a repeating pattern of dots, dashes, or blank spaces. Linetypes determine the appearance of entities both on the screen and when printed. By default, every drawing has at least three linetypes: CONTINUOUS, BYLAYER and BYBLOCK. Your drawing may also contain an unlimited number of additional linetypes. Linetype definitions are saved in the drawing. New linetypes are either imported from other drawings or loaded from a linetype file (*.lin). Which linetype file is used is controlled by the MEASUREMENT system variable:
MEASUREMENT = ON uses Iso.lin : Linetype definitions are expressed in mm.
MEASUREMENT = OFF: Default.lin : Linetype definitions are expressed in inch.
New entities are drawn using the current linetype.
Entities which have a linetype BYLAYER adopt the linetype of their layer. This allows you to change the linetype of all such entities by adjusting the linetype of the layer.
Entities created using linetype BYBLOCK, are drawn as continuous lines until you include them into a block. The entities then inherit the block’s linetype setting when you insert the block into a drawing.
Linetype scale (LTSCALE)
Non-continuous linetypes consist of lines, gaps and dots put together in a variety of patterns. In complex linetypes also text or shapes can be included.
In the linetype definition the length of the lines and gaps are either defined in inch (default.lin) or mm (iso.lin). If the drawing units are different from inch or mm, linetypes need to be scaled. The linetype scaling is controlled by the Linetype Scale (LTSCALE) system variable, which must be set with respect to the drawing units (DU):
|Imperial (MEASUREMENT = OFF)|
|Metric (MEASUREMENT = ON)|
BricsCAD will always put a dash at the start and end of a line, polyline, arc or spline. The linetype pattern is also nicely centered, so that both ends of the entity look the same.
Polyline Generation (PLINEGEN)
Linetypes are normally generated from vertex to vertex. Polylines of which the vertices are very close together might be rendered as a continuous line, if the linetype pattern does not fit between two subsequent vertices. The Polyline Generation (PLINEGEN) system variable addresses this problem: when set to 1 or ON, the linetype is drawn from one end of the polyline to the other end, instead of from vertex to vertex.
The same polyline drawn with PLINEGEN on (left) and off (right).
Paper space linetype scale (PSLTSCALE)
PSLTSCALE controls linetype scaling in paperspace layouts. If ON, linetype scaling is independent from the viewport scale.
In general, PSLTSCALE is best set ON. Remember that this variable can be set per layout.
Model space linetype scale (MSLTSCALE)
If MSLTSCALE is ON, the current annotation scale (CANNOSCALE) is applied to linetypes in model space.
MSLTSCALE is best set OFF. It might be usefull to switch it ON when printing from model space.
Setting the Global Linetype Scale
- Choose Settings in the Settings menu.
The Settings dialog opens.
- Select the Drawing settings category.
- Expand the Entity Creation settings sub-category.
- Select the Linetype Scale setting (LTSCALE).
- Type a new value in the Global Linetype Scale field, then press Enter.
The drawing is regenerated.
- Close the Settings dialog.
Setting the current linetype
Do one of the following:
- On the BricsCAD Properties Bar, select Linetype .
Make sure, no entity is selected.
Choose a linetype in the drop down list.
- On the Entity Properties toolbar, click the down arrow next to the Linetype field, then choose a linetype in the drop down list.
- Right click on the Linetype field in the Status Bar, then choose a linetype in the context menu.
Adding a new linetype
1. In the Tools > Drawing Explorer choose Linetype...
The Drawing Explorer - Linetypes dialog displays.
2. Click the New tool button () in the Details toolbar.
The Linetypes dialog opens.
3. (option) Click the File button on the Linetypes dialog to load a different linetype file (*.lin).
4. Select a linetype, then click the OK button.
The linetype is added.
5. (option) Click the linetype name to rename the linetype.
6. (option) click the linetype description to edit the description of the linetype.
Setting the Entity Linetype Scale
The CELTSCALE system variable sets the value of the Linetype Scale property for new entities. This variable is best set to 1, except for special linetypes, such as BATTING or GAS_LINE, which most likely need to be scaled.
- On the BricsCAD Properties Bar, select Linetype scale .
Make sure, no entity is selected.
- Type a new value in the Linetype scale field.