A freehand sketch consists of a series of straight line segments, created either as individual line entities or as a polyline. Before you begin creating a freehand sketch, you must set the length, or increment, of each segment. The smaller the segments, the more accurate your sketch, but small segments increase the file size.
After you specify the length of the sketch segments, the crosshairs change to a pencil tool ().
A freehand sketch line is not added to the drawing until you "write" the sketch into your drawing.
Setting the Sketch Poly (SKPOLY) system variable
Whether a chain of individual lines or a polyline is created by the Sketch tool is controlled through the Sketch Poly (SKPOLY) system variable. When the setting is ON the Sketch tool creates polylines
Do one of the following:
- In the command bar type skpoly , then press Enter.
- In the Settings dialog, go to Drawing > Drafting > Entity Creation > Freehand Sketches.
Creating a freehand sketch
- Do one of the following:
- Click the Sketch tool button () on the Draw toolbar.
- Choose Sketch in the Draw menu.
- Type sketch in the command bar, then press Enter.
You are prompted: Length of segments <current length>:
- Do one of the following to define the length of the segments:
- Press Enter to accept the current length.
- Type a new value in the command bar.
- Click two points to define the length graphically.
The length of the segments is saved to the Sketch Increment (SKETCHINC) system variable.
- Click to start sketching (pen down). The crosshairs are replaced by the Pencil tool ()
You are prompted: Press ENTER or click to toggle Pen/Quit without save/Record (save)/Erase/Connect/Straight/eXit with save::
A prompt menu displays:
- Move the cursor to sketch. The sketched line displays in light green.
- (option) Click to stop sketching (pen up), then click again (pen down) to resume.
- (option) Choose Erase on in the prompt menu or type E + Enter in the to start erasing sketch lines.
The cursor changes to the Erase tool ().
- Move the cursor to the end of a sketch line to start erasing.
- Click to stop erasing and resume sketching.
- (option) Choose Record (save) in the prompt menu or type R + Enter to save the sketch lines, and keep sketching.
- (option) Choose save and eXit in the prompt menu or type X + Enter to save the sketch lines and exit the sketch command.
- (option) Choose Quit no save in the prompt menu or type Q + Enter to exit the sketch command without saving.