Overview: In this lesson, you learn how to classify an entity according to the corresponding building element type.
After completing this lesson, you will be able to:
- Classify the entities by the appropriate building elements.
- Use the classification categories.
- Convert an entity to a block and classify the block reference as a BIM element.
- Automatically classify a set of entities.
Tutorial: How to classify BIM elements
Click here to watch
About BIM Classify
If you have a conceptual model without any classification you can turn these elements into classified BIM elements using BIM Classify.
Menubar: BIM > Classify
Toolbar: BIM > Classify
Quad: BIM >,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Procedure: Classifying entities
- Select an entity in the drawing to classify.
- Choose a classification type (1) in the BIM command group in the Quad.
The BIM data is assigned to the selected entity.
- Optionally, choose the classify manually option from the Quad to access the BIM Element classification types. This displays the Classify as BIM Element dialog box (2):
Note: The classification types are grouped into the following categories:
- Building Core Elements
- Building Architecture Elements
- Building Service Elements
- Building Structure Elements
Do one of the following:
- Enter a specific name of the BIM Element type in the Search field (3) to filter the available element types
- Select a Building Element type from the list
- (Optional) Check the Convert to block option (4) and enter a name in the Block name field (5)
This option will convert the selected entity to a block and classify the block reference to the defined Building Element type.
- Click the OK button (6) to accept it.
- Optionally, use the Auto () option from the Quad to classify the selected entities automatically. This automatic classification is done based on the geometrical features of the object. Always check whether it was correctly classified.
- To remove the assigned BIM data from the entity, select the entity in the drawing and choose the Unclassify () option from the Quad.
The BIM data is removed from the selected entity.
Properties of the classified entities
When you classify an entity, a number of properties with regard to the building element type is displayed in the Properties panel.
The following illustrations show the properties that are available for windows and doors: