Overview: In this lesson, you will learn how to use the Details Panel.
After completing this lesson, you will be able to:
- Open the Details Panel
- Organize saved details
- View details
- Add tags to details
- Search for details in the library
- Propagate details
- Adjust details
- Save details to the Details Panel
- Share a details folder
Opening the Details Panel
Execute the DETAILSPANELOPEN command.
Place the cursor on a toolbar or ribbon panel and right-click.
A context menu displays.
Expand the Panels option.
Select Details from the context menu.
The Details panel displays and the Details button () is added to the collapsible panelset a the right hand side of the BricsCAD application window.
Click on the Details button () to expand/collapse the Details panel.
Saving details to the Details Panel
After you created a new detail, it's possible to save it to the Details Panel. This way you can use the same detail in other files as well. Use the command BIMCREATEDETAIL.
View a Detail
- Click on the category of the detail you want to view. The details assigned to that category display.
- Click on the detail you want to view.
The detail dialog box displays:
- Edit the thumbnail image:
- Click the Pencil icon ().
The detail dwg opens.
The CREATETHUMBNAIL command is launched.
- Use view commands (zoom, pan, rotate) to adjust the view.
- Choose OK or press Enter to save the thumbnail.
- Click the Pencil icon ().
- Parametrize: Opens the .dwg detail file and executes the BIMPARAMETRIZEDETAIL command.
- Open: Opens the .dwg file of the detail.
- Tags: Add general tags.
- Reference solid tags: Click the down arrow to display the tags. You cannot add reference solid tags; you can only delete the existing tags
- General tags: Click the down arrow to display the tags.
- Save : Saves the changes and closes the detail dialog box.
- Propagate Propagates the detail. See the BIMPROPAGATE command.
- Cancel: Closes the detail dialog box without saving.
- Change the thumbnail image of the detail.ags
- Edit the thumbnail image:
Tags can be added to each detail. These are used to search for a specific detail in the library. There are two different tag categories:
- Reference solid tags: Tags that identify an individual reference solid from the detail.
- General tags: Tags that generally identify the detail.
During the BimCreateDetail command, tags are automatically generated for the detail. You can delete unrequired tags and add new tags. New tags can only be General tags.
You can add tags during the BimCreateDetail command or at any moment after the detail has already been created.
To add tags during the BimCreateDetail refer to the BimCreateDetail article. To add tags at another moment see below.
In the Details Panel, click on the detail you want to adjust.
The detail dialog box displays.
Expand the Reference solid tags category.
You can only delete these tags, you cannot add new tags.
Click in the Tags field and type the name for the new tag, then click the Add button to add General tags
The new tag is added to the General tags category in an orange box.
Repeat this procedure to add more tags.
- Click the Save button to save the changes and close the detail dialog box.
Searching details with tags
In the Details Panel, you can search the library for specific details using tags. You can add one or more tags at once to your search query to select all matching details.
- Click the search bar in the Details Panel and type in a search string. The matching tags display: Reference solid tags and the General tags.
Do the following:
- General tags: Click the desired tag .
Reference solid tags:
- To add the tag to a reference solid that is not yet in your search query: click the plus sign next to the required tag.
- Add the tag to a reference solid that is already in your search query: click the number of the required reference solids next to the tag.
Once these tags have been added to your search query, they will appear at the bottom of the Details Panel under the right tag category.
The filtered search results display.
Editing a Detail
Select the detail you want to edit.
Click the Open button.
The .dwg file of the detail opens in a separate drawing tab.
Make the necessary adjustments to the detail.
Save the detail .dwg file.
The detail is updated in the Details Panel.
- The existing details won’t be updated automatically. To Replace the existing details by the new one, follow the steps above to propagate a detail.
To propagate a detail
You can propagate a detail to all of the similar connections in your project.
Do one of the following:
Drag and drop the detail from the library into the drawing.
Select the detail in the library.
The Detail dialog box dispays.
Click the Propagate button.
To apply all suggestions, hit Enter.
To reject a suggestion click on the checkmark. A red cross icon replaces the checkmark. Click the icon again to accept the suggestion.
Press Enter to accept.
You can also propagate a detail in your project using the BimPropagateFromFile command. This command allows you to propagate detail files that are not in the library.
You can save details as a dwg-file and share the details folder/library. Save the detail drawings at the correct location which will then display in the details panel.
- If you want to make a new detail to share, you can create a new detail first, as is explained above. The following steps apply both to new details as well as existing details.
All the details you have created are automatically saved in the folder, and its subfolders, which is set through the DETAILSPATH system variable. By default this is C:\ProgramData\Bricsys\Details.
Then click on the three dots next to the existing name in the Path List to change the location.
You can also create a additional paths.
Click the New icon (), then click on the three dots of the new row to add a path for the Details library.
If you want to share a folder, go to the file explorer on your computer and follow the path to the details folder. If you haven’t created any details yet, this folder only contains the folder ‘.resources’. If you have created some details, you can find the same folders here as in your Details Panel.
Copy the folder that you want to share and turn it into a zip file. This zip file can be shared with others.
If you receive a zip file you should unpack it and copy the folders containing the details to the folder C:\ProgramData\Bricsys\Details.
Note: make sure the details are saved in a folder that you place in the detail folder. If you just place the dwg files in your details folder, they will not appear in your Details Panel.
To load the new details in your library panel, go to the details panel, open the menu and click Generate thumbnails.
The new details folders will appear in your Details Panel.