Point clouds in BricsCAD has changed significantly from BricsCAD V19 to BricsCAD V20 in two major ways:
New improved data representation
The internal representation of point clouds has changed it is now a single, .vrm project file accompanied by a folder with the actual point data. Previously it was a .bpt binary file. This new format has the following advantages:
- BricsCAD displays faster and more realistically
- It is up to half the size of the source data (the old format was up to twice as large as the source data).
Point cloud cache manager
Using the point cloud management system to directly attach point cloud source data to a .dwg file. The cache manager will, if needed, preprocess the data in the background and attach the point cloud to the .dwg file. If this data has been preprocessed (in cache) it is directly attached.
All cached datasets are now centralized in the cache manager - there is no need to move around converted datasets. This cache manager also warns you when the data it contains is larger than a preset maximum size.
The name and location of the cache folder is saved through the PointCloudCacheFolder user preference, which you can edit in the Settings dialog under Program Options > Files.
Point cloud user scenarios
You want to attach a .ptx, .pts, .las or .rcp point cloud file to a .dwg file
You can now directly attach this data to a .dwg file. A background process will be started automatically the preprocess is computed and you are notified when it is ready. Once complete, use REGEN to display the point cloud data in the workspace.
You want to exchange a .dwg file, with point cloud data attached, with another user
Create a .dwg and attach the point cloud data to it. This creates a cache representation on your computer. When the other user wants to work on the same file, you must send them the .dwg file and the point cloud source data with the same relative path between the .wrt file and the .dwg file. When the other user opens the .dwg in BricsCAD, the cache will be generated automatically. This even applies to a .dwg file, created in AutoCAD® with an .rcp file attached. When you create a new .dwg file at the same relative path to the point cloud source data and want to attach this data to a new .dwg, the caching system recognizes this and it then immediately attaches and displays the data.
New Point Cloud commands for V20
- POINTCLOUDREFERENCE opens a dialog (displayed below) to let you select a dataset from the cache and attach it to a .dwg file.
The POINTCLOUDREFERENCE dialog displays an overview of all cached datasets, their sizes, the total cache size used and the maximum cache size available. When an item is selected and click OK to attach it to the current .dwg file.
- POINTCLOUDDELETEITEM opens almost the same dialog but this time allows you to select a dataset from the cache to delete it from disc.
- POINTCLOUDIMPORT if a point cloud has already been preprocessed outside the cache system (such as a beta of V20 or the Bricsys VR software Insight) it imports the data into the cache manager.
Note It does NOT convert raw data into the cache manager, use POINTCLOUDPREPROCESS or POINTCLOUDATTACH to do this.
Use POINTCLOUDPREPROCESS and POINTCLOUDATTACH in unattended mode
- POINTCLOUDPREPROCESS gives balloon progress updates during its computations
- POINTCLOUDPREPROCESS and POINTCLOUDATTACH now have unattended counterparts: -POINTCLOUDPREPROCESS and -POINTCLOUDATTACH
Example usage: -POINTCLOUDPREPROCESS
(command "-POINTCLOUDPREPROCESS" "C:\\filip\\inputData01.las" "E")
- Input data file
- "E" units used. (E = mEters)
The result is that the items are prepared in the cache. You will see a notification balloon when the preprocess is finished.
Example usage: -POINTCLOUDATTACH
(command "-POINTCLOUDATTACH" "C:\\filip\\inputData01.las" "E" "0,0,0" "0" "1")
- Input data file. This will be preprocessed in the background.
- "E" units used. (E = mEters)
- "0,0,0" translation of the point cloud data (zero)
- "0" rotation of the point cloud data (zero)
- "1" scale point cloud data (one)
The result is that the item will be prepared in the cache AND attached to the current .dwg file. You see a notification balloon when the preprocessing is finished.
Note You may need to use REGEN to update the drawing. This also means that the POINTCLOUDPREPROCESS command will no longer be required and will probably disappear.
BricsCAD V20 still supports .bpt files! However new .bpt files can no longer be created.
WARNING AFTER V20, SUPPORT FOR .BPT FILES WILL BE DROPPED COMPLETELY.
Point cloud functions that remain the same
The remaining functionality remains the same as for Point Clouds in BricsCAD V19:
- Snap behavior to point cloud points while editing.
- Sectionplanes (clip the whole scene includes the point cloud).
- Pointcloudcrop (clip just the current point cloud object).
- Colormaps use false colors to highlight differences in intensity or elevation.
- Behavior in drawing explorer (add/modify/remove point cloud definitions).
- Properties panel: when a point cloud has been selected, several properties are available in this panel for inspection and even direct modification.
- Geometric properties, (eg rotation scale and insertion X,Y,Z)
- Apply color map
BricsCAD V20 Properties panel with point cloud properties that you can access and change.